BREAKING: John Lewis, congressman from Georgia and civil rights leader, says he has pancreatic cancer and that he will continue serving while being treated.

Lewis, a Democrat who has represented Georgia's 5th Congressional District for over 30 years, said doctors discovered the cancer during a routine visit.
"While I am clear-eyed about the prognosis, doctors have told me that recent medical advances have made this type of cancer treatable in many cases, that treatment options are no longer as debilitating as they once were, and that I have a fighting chance," Lewis said in a statement.
But, despite the diagnosis, Lewis, 79, said he will continue to serve in Congress. "I have decided to do what I know to do and do what I have always done: I am going to fight it and keep fighting for the Beloved Community. We still have many bridges to cross."
There are a lot of people wishing him well after the terrible news:



"If there's one thing I love about @RepJohnLewis, it's his incomparable will to fight," tweeted former President Barack Obama. "I know he's got a lot more of that left in him. Praying for you, my friend."
"If there's anyone with the strength and courage to fight this, it's you John," former President Bill Clinton tweeted. "Hillary and I love you, and we join with millions of other Americans in praying for you and your family."
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., wrote that "generations of Americans" had Lewis in their prayers.
"We are all praying that you are comfortable. We know that you will be well," Pelosi wrote.
We definitely disagree with Lewis politically, but we hope he beats this horrible disease. Stage four pancreatic cancer has a very small recovery percentage. I hope we can all be respectful about his diagnosis in the comments.

Comments